Quote

"If we ever find the meaning of life, it will be a musical note." - The Who

Friday, November 25, 2011

Popcorn Balls: A Family Tradition

If there is one thing you will quickly learn about me, it is that I have a lot of family traditions.  I have family in Philippi, WV and every year for Christmas, they make popcorn balls from my great-grandma's recipe.  Well this year, we decided to make them with my family in Wheeling.

This was a first time for me and I had no idea what to expect.  But after gathering some family members who have previously made the popcorn balls, the ingredients, recipe, and some much needed patience over the hot stove, they turned out to be a success! (Although your dentist would not agree!) 

It's the little things in life that make it worth living, and popcorn balls is just one of the little things in my life that make it so grand!  Not to mention, all the family time we got while making them!  Even though I had to leave before they were all made, the little time I spent there was a memory I will never forget!   :)

Some of my family who helped with the first batch of popcorn balls. 
From left to right: My cousins Becky, Sydney, Kelsey, Sheri, my grandma Sue, and cousin Alyssa in the front middle.

Recipe for popcorn balls handwritten by my great-grandmother. 
The recipe is very vague, but just proves that you have to have made them with someone who knows, to truly understand the recipe. (You can even see a little math my great-grandmother had done on this recipe card!)

No comments:

Post a Comment