Quote

"If we ever find the meaning of life, it will be a musical note." - The Who

Friday, March 2, 2012

The Joys of Teaching

As March approaches, I realize how much I have been neglecting my blog. But as my students and I celebrated Dr. Seuss's 108th birthday today, I had a delightful day.

In school, my 2nd graders have been learning about the continents. When I was in college, I went to a training that taught different things using movement and song. We learned a continent song that teaches the locations of the continents on a map. I taught this to my students and they instantly (and hopefully forever) remembered where they were located on the map.

For a final assessment on the location of the continents, students were to trace a template of each continent, label it, and glue it onto a paper in the correct location. The students were given no resources to use, just their previous exposure to the song. I was so pleased as I walked around the room to see the students singing the song and doing the movements to find out where to glue a certain continent.

Teaching is a rough and time consuming job (I know, we get the summer off. But all summer long, I am doing things to prepare for next school year. And no, we don't work 8 hours a day 5 days a week. We usually work 10-12 hours 6-7 days a week!) but the reward of seeing something you taught them, is more rewarding than any money can buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment